SOM footwear can be resoled, increasing the miles of adventure your favorite pair can take you on. The old soles are shipped to a recycling plant that breaks the materials down to be reused as crumb rubber for playgrounds and running tracks.
Before you place an order for a Resoling, consult these guidelines to ensure your soles are good candidates.
*Important Update: We are currently unable to resole sizes 10.5 and 11. We hope to remedy this issue as quickly as possible. Please email us if you have any questions.
Which sole do I have?
Check which version of sole is on your SOMs. Earlier models may have Vibram sole material, which have a zigzag pattern (picture below; right shoe). Because of updated resoling practices, we are no longer resoling this type of sole.
Our current soles, prominent on the majority of our shoes, is a polyurethane cup sole with "SOM" stamped near the heel (picture above, left shoe). If you see the SOM and patchwork tread, than your shoes can be resoled, and you can move to the next step: determining if your soles are ready.
Are my shoes ready to be resoled?
Applying fresh soles can add miles to a well-traveled pair, but since our shoes can only be resoled once, to get the fullest life out of your footwear, it is important not to resole too early. So when are my SOMs ready?
- Check the tread lines. When the lines have faded to the point of being invisible, your soles are a good candidate.
- If tread is still slightly visible, shoes could go a little longer (how much longer is dependent on the wearer).
- Everyone's step is different. Certain areas of your soles will show wear faster than others. It may be at the heel or at the base of the toes, but just because one spot is faded, doesn't mean the entire sole needs replacing.
- If holes or cracks begin forming (often around the heels), this is a good time for a resoling before they get worse.
- Every sole's life is unique. There is no set amount of time a pair of soles will last. Use, environment, and the individual's step will all contribute to the sole's lifespan. If you believe your soles are getting close, keep checking them each month to ensure they don't go beyond our ability to resole them.
My soles look ready. What's next?
- Send us pictures (of the bottoms AND tops). It is important to send pictures prior to shipping your shoes so we can confirm with you that your SOMs are ready for resoling. Email pictures to email@example.com and include any details the photos fail to capture.
- When we confirm they are ready, we will send you an email with instructions to place an order for a Resoling and mail your pair to us at the address below:
Montrose, CO 81401
- You will be responsible for the cost of shipping the pair for resoling to the SOM factory.
- We reserve the right to refuse shoes for resoling if, upon reviewing pictures or during hands on inspection, they are too risky to attempt a resoling without damaging the shoe. We are not responsible for damage caused while resoling. The resoling fee will be refunded if we must return a pair without resoling.
- If you have a pair ready to be resoled at the time of your next new shoe purchase, we can hold onto your new pair until the resoling is finished and then ship both the new and resoled pairs back to you in one box to save you on shipping.
- If you don’t have a pair ready to be resoled at the time of your new purchase, there will be a $10 charge to ship them back to you.
- For our international customers, we will have to send an invoice for the shipping back, unfortunately. We are working on this to serve you all better.
- Please wash your SOMs before sending them. Simply toss your shoes in the washing machine on the normal setting with cold water and gentle soap. Let them dry in the shade (avoid direct heat).
How can I earn one FREE resoling?
By choosing SOM VIP during the checkout process, you will earn one free resoling after your second shoe purchase (a $35 value). Only $10 will be charged for shipping the finished pair back to you, unless your order also includes a new pair of shoes, as previously stated above.
To learn more about this one year VIP membership, please click here.